- Choose fresh squid with a clean, sweet smell and bright eyes.
- When properly frozen, both squid and cuttlefish will retain flavor and texture.
- Squid have usually been frozen and defrosted when sold at retail and may be purchased already cleaned.
- Choose cuttlefish that quickly change color when poked, darkening from brown to black, and that are glossy, sweet-smelling, and somewhat translucent.
- Extra Tips:
- When buying, look for fresh whole squid with clear and smooth skin.
- The squid should smell absolutely fresh.
- Squid larger than 8 inches may be tough.
- Choose fresh, whole baby octopus or octopus meat that looks and smells absolutely fresh.
- Octopus larger than 2 to 2.5 pounds may be tough.
- Always refrigerate fresh, cleaned octopus or squid immediately and use it within a day or two.
- Frozen squid or octopus will keep for one month in a 0 degrees F freezer.